Westminster Presbyterian Church began with eighteen imaginative “Colored” people who were inclined to the Presbyterian order of service and organization. These eighteen were so inclined because of their background, training and education roots from schools operated by the Presbyterian Church in the Carolinas. They began holding services in the Central Presbyterian Church on Sunday afternoons. This new church development committee appealed to the then Los Angeles Presbytery to come under “care and development” and on October 9, 1904, after the eighteen were received by either confession of faith or baptism and examined, the process for Presbyterian membership officially began. On October 21, 1904, the organizational work was finalized and “the church was reported to the Presbytery of Los Angeles and ordered enrolled in the “Presbytery”.
The new Westminster Presbyterian Church not only marked the birth of a Colored Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, it was also to be the first of its kind in the state of California and west of the Mississippi. In 1906, land was purchased at West 35th Place and Denker Avenue. The first Westminster Presbyterian Church was erected. The young, growing church, under the care of the Presbytery, extended the first call to pastor, Rev. Robert W. Holman . . . READ MORE
Meet Our Church Leadership & Staff
We are so blessed to have such hardworking and dedicated support at Westminster Presbyterian Church of Los Angeles. Our village is only as healthy as its leaders and we’ve got the best giving their guidance, and passionate devotion. We’re a community of faith, hope, love, and witness.
Church Mission Statement
In all we do and say let us: Glorify the Triune God (Father, Son, and Spirit.); prepare and nurture disciples; serve beyond the walls of the church locally and globally.
Our vision is to be intentional in developing a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ to the end that we will reach beyond the walls of this church to serve the community.